Installation and upgrade processes can be a problematic and frustrating. Manual steps carried out on many different servers introduce the potential for human error – adding time, cost and risk. Ammeon Workflow Engine (AWE) is a collection of services designed to address the complexity of end-to-end installations and upgrades. Our workflow engine emphasizes reducing cost and effort by removing complexity and manual interaction.
The core functionality of AWE is to automate the manual steps involved in any software application installation or package upgrade (for example, supporting upgrade automation of deployments to so-called ‘brown-field’ environments). AWE is highly configurable and extensible and can be applied to a variety of different use cases, including:
- Automation of application installs
- Automation of application upgrades
- One-off migrations
- Checks on running systems
Our customers have seen dramatic results from adopting AWE, including:
- >75% reduction in upgrade steps
- Up to ⅓ wiped off completion time
- More than a 50% reduction in effort
AWE implements a multi-phase approach:
- ‘Prepare for’ phase – preparing the target ‘To’ state
- Verification phase – check target systems readiness
- Execution phase – script execution
- Continuous health checks and reporting at each phase
You can pause and resume upgrade jobs as required. You can also configure dependencies between steps, enabling the workflow engine to automatically ignore, pause or stop when errors are encountered.
AWE contains a Python-based engine at its core. This engine takes inputs from multiple XML files:
- Workflow Steps – describes order and dependencies and is used to determine the ‘To’ state.
- Deployment Descriptor – describes the physical/virtual deployment including parameters such as machine names and IP Addresses.
- Master State – saves the execution state in the event that the workflow is paused or encounters an error.
The engine orchestrates the execution of the steps, continually monitoring progress through to completion. AWE is capable of executing Python and Bash scripts, enabling you to reuse your existing scripts as part of the upgrade workflow.
- Process step reduction and simplification
- Significant reduction in time to upgrade
- Ability to execute installations within narrow maintenance windows
- Reduction in errors, failures and documentation
- Capability to reuse existing scripts and mix & match automated and manual steps